Today, we’re going to talk about Instagram’s decision to say goodbye to likes (from user feeds that is). You may have heard earlier this year about Instagram testing the removal of likes in other countries, but now the test has finally hit the US. What does all of this mean? It means better mental health for those concerned with the vanity of likes and a level playing field for engagement on your posts. In this episode, Michael and Tyler discuss the controversy surrounding this app update, the proposed benefits it could have for users and brands, and provide some tips for stepping up your Instagram game.
- The removal of likes from the Instagram feed is just test on certain accounts in certain countries, right now
- The US is the latest country to receive the test
- The update would not take away the ability to like posts, but simply hide the number of likes a post has from the feed
- Users will still be able to see the amount of likes their own posts have
- Many celebrities and social media influencers are taking to Twitter and other platforms to complain
- Mark Zuckerberg and Kim Kardashian-West are for the removal of likes because of the positive impact it could have on user’s mental health
- Cardi B and Nicki Minaj are against the removal of likes because they feel it will hurt new artists trying to make revenue from the app and that the comments are more harmful than the likes
- Instagram can be a source of revenue for users with large following and brand deals
- There is an unspoken popularity contest to have the most likes and followers on Instagram
- The removal of post likes will level out the playing field and allow everyone to play fair
- Instagram is known for having ways to buying fake followers and likes
- The update would favor content that is engaging and getting people to comment
- The vanity number of likes doesn’t = sales
- Tips for using Instagram for your business:
- Quality content
- Instagram is more quality over quantity
- Consistency in posting
- Only post what you have the capacity to do while keeping the same level of quality and relevancy
- Engaging captions
- Ask questions to get people to respond in the comments
- Use up to 30 hashtags
- Utilize all the features of the platform: IGTV, Stories, Live, Hashtags, etc.
- Quality content
- Instagram HACK: whenever the app releases a new feature, they give users who use the feature preference in the algorithm
Thanks for checking out The #WeAreSlam Show, a digital marketing podcast where we share marketing trends, best practices, and ideas to help your business or brand grow.
Created and produced by SLAM! Agency, the show exists to help marketing professionals, directors, and executives grow their brands and reach their customers in a more effective way. The #WeAreSlam Show is released weekly and featured on all popular podcast and video networks. Subscribe below at your favorite provider:
Subscribe to the #WeAreSLAM Show
The #WeAreSlam Show releases with a new topic every Monday morning at 8:00 A.M.
The #WeAreSlam Show is a weekly digital marketing podcast where we share marketing trends, best practices, and ideas to help your business or brand grow.
Here's What Our Customers are Saying