There is a myth that you need to be all things to all people when marketing your product or service, but the reality is that the more you can narrow down your target market, the better your results are going to be.
Today, we’re going to reveal one of the biggest mistakes you can make when marketing your brand or business: NOT targeting the right people. In this episode, Tyler and Michael will discuss the 4 ways to targeting your ideal prospect, provide examples for how you can do it, and give you a bonus tip on who your ideal prospect should be.
- Myth: you need to be all things to all people
- Reality: the more you narrow down, the better your results are
- Target people who can actually buy your product or service
- Bad Ex. marketing flooring to an area that is primarily renters
- Good Ex. Dominos pizza putting stores in college towns
- Spend money on your ideal prospect
- 4 ways to target your ideal prospect:
- Age, race, ethnicity, gender, marital status, income, education, etc.
- Geographic area
- Physical areas people live, work, and spend time in
- Interests, attitudes, and opinions of people
- Buying patterns
- TIP: drive through the neighborhoods that you’re marketing to
- Look at the cars on the street, if there are children around, or anything that could tell you about the types of people who live in that area
- BONUS: figure out who your buyer who must “buy now” is
- People who need what you’re offering and can actually buy now are your ideal prospects
- There will be people who need what you’re offering, but many times they cannot buy now
Thanks for checking out The #WeAreSlam Show, a digital marketing podcast where we share marketing trends, best practices, and ideas to help your business or brand grow.
Created and produced by SLAM! Agency, the show exists to help marketing professionals, directors, and executives grow their brands and reach their customers in a more effective way. The #WeAreSlam Show is released weekly and featured on all popular podcast and video networks. Subscribe below at your favorite provider:
Subscribe to the #WeAreSLAM Show
The #WeAreSlam Show releases with a new topic every Monday morning at 8:00 A.M.
Here's What Our Customers are Saying
Angela Caputa, Director of Marketing
Travis Sheridan, Executive Director
Venture Cafe Global
Cyndie Roche, VP of Sales & Marketing
Payne Family Homes